Thursday, November 14, 2013

{My Birthday}

Anyone who has kids knows your birthday isn't really about you anymore.

Convo in the van on the way to school this am:
"Kids, you know what I would really like for my birthday? You to clean up your room!"
Henry, "Can we talk about my birthday now, cuz I have some ideas!"
Me, "Your birthday was in August. It's not your turn."
Henry, "OK, Amelie let's talk about what you want for your birthday."
Amelie proceeds to loudly discuss her wishes for her birthday (which was 2 weeks ago).
Henry, "OK, now it is my turn!"

Woe, is me.

Poor mommy syndrome. Never about her. But this year I am glad it isn't about me b/c I wanted to spend the day doing 33 Kisses for Claudie .

It started out pretty bummy b/c my first stop was Hobby Lobby to purchase a Christmas tree for a friend. Somewhere between the Halloween and Christmas décor  I'll be Home for Christmas came blaring thru the speakers. I lost it. I mean L.O.S.T. it! I realized my daughter would not be home with me this Christmas and it was more than I can bare. After hiding in the back of the frame department and a quick text from my husband, I was able to refocus. It was still an emotional day but turned out to be one of the best I could have asked for.

Goals: 1. Make EVERYONE I see today happier than when I first saw them.
            2. Do 33 random acts of kindness (one for each year of my life)
            3. CELEBRATE life.
OK! Kids dropped off at school and I am armed with Kisses for Claudie cards (and some birthday money) so let's get this party started!


#1

A tree with a $10 Hobby Lobby gift card for a friend re-covering from open-heart surgery. Our unit has "adopted" her family and the tree will filled with cash and other gift cards and goodies.

 #2-3

 One of the gifts for those who have been a light in a dark time for me. I can't show them all b/c chances are this blog will be posted b/f they get them.

#4
 A waiter got a nice 50%+ gratuity at lunch...and NO it wasn't because she complemented me on my elephant necklace and said she loved elephants!



#5
 Another $20 for THE AMAZING Salvation Army. Wish I had a $100 to give!

#6-16
10 Books for the book drive!! (check the blog post Let's Book It for more details)

#17
  Did you know it was buy one get one free day at Starbucks?? Soo I purchased a coffee order for the lady behind me...and

#18-23
...6 more coffees for the preK teachers at Amelie's school.(I can't count the seventh...it's mine!)

#24
oh and I...
  ...Gave the barista a nice tip. The barista was so impressed with the project (before she knew about her personal tip) that she personally asked for 50 cards to hand out to the cars behind me!!! Talk about pay it forward!!

The teachers were pretty stoked:
 

It was on to pick up my other kiddo and go to a book fair. I saw this sign on the way in and so thought this would be a great way to help out...
...but they already had sold out! Good for your "charidy" kiddos!
#25-26
Instead I was able to purchase two books for friends:
#27-28
...and Henry and Amelie each wanted to get a book for the babies too!
#29
The little girl checking out in front of me didn't understand tax and didn't have enough moola, so I covered tax so she would get her book too.
When I got home I was able to show the new hat and scarf I got for Henry! Making people happier than when I first saw them. CHECK!
 Pretty sure I can't count this as one of the 33 acts however, since keeping your child warm on 19 degree days should be a random act of kindness in my humble opinion. 
I was even able to throw in some celebration of life in there!
Cuz these crazies treated me to dinner!

#30-33
On the way from dinner...
We unloaded a roll of quarters in 4 car-washing stations since it is supposed to be warm tomorrow and left a card with each one.

Over it was super easy to contribute in 33 ways and I wish I had more time to do more. But I was able to at least try to make each person I encounter a bit happier than how I found them. Whether it was a simple smile or a grand gesture, acts of kindness made a difference.

I think I will do this every year!



No comments: