Sunday, April 21, 2013

How Beautiful

On our wedding day my sweet friend sang How Beautiful by Twila Paris. The lyrics go like this:

 How beautiful the radiant bride
Who waits for her groom with His light in her eyes
How beautiful when humble hearts give
The fruit of pure lives so that others may live

How beautiful, how beautiful
How beautiful is the body of Christ

How beautiful the feet that bring
The sound of good news and the love of the King
How beautiful the hands that serve
The wine and the bread and the sons of the earth

How beautiful, how beautiful
How beautiful is the body of Christ.

We decided on the song because of it's reference to marriage on our wedding day, but for some reason the song kept playing over and over in my head this weekend. I got to witness the body of Christ firsthand this weekend and it was BEAUTIFUL!

We were to have media coverage at the sale that didn't end up coming because the focus of the news all week was Boston (and rightly so). But I there is something I witnessed not just at the fundraiser but everywhere that I wish the media would focus more on, the body of Christ. The acts of kindness, the washing of feet, the pure acts of kindness with zero regard for personal gain. It was inspiring! Everyone has probably seen the image of the FBI agent who brought the family milk that was on lockdown, or the little girls who raised 1000s from a lemonade stand for the Boston victims. I am not sure if these people are Christians or not, but the acts themselves speak for their hearts.

What I am sure of is what happened at our Rummage Sale this weekend and it was the BODY OF CHRIST! It restored my faith in humanity and Christianity. It was awe-inspiring! As my dad said God takes care of the details and when he gives HE freely gives!!

There are dozens of faces behind the scenes and in the forefront that made the sale successful! From my sister who shared and shared our sale daily, to my sister that drove 3 hours just to help, to my other sister who a sale to support the weekend before 1000miles away, to my family members praying and planning from afar, to my mother in law who took the kids so we could plan, to the incredible "church ladies" who baked and organized and baked and organized some more, to my dear friends who sacrificially gave their weekend to us (including someone who gave up her birthday weekend at the lake to help us!), to complete strangers who have met us through our blog and just showed up (one of which who actually cleaned the toilets after the sale with no one even asking!). Then there were my DOZENS of friends who came from miles and miles away just to drop something in our donation box! Don't think I did NOT notice each and everyone one of you (even you who gave us $20 for each hotdog). I could not take the time to thank each of you individually but it meant the world to us! From the $50 cup of lemonade to the $1000 anonymous donation to the person who put the first penny in our piggy bank YOU EACH HAVE CHANGED OUR LIVES!

Through incredible loss, we have seen incredible light! And as I keep hearing from my friends, this child will not just be our child, but it is everyone's child, because you each have paved the path for us to adopt...and yes you can hold and love on the baby when they arrive!

So as my sweet friend posted on my FB page, "there is nothing more beautiful than watching the body of Christ!" THANK YOU BODY OF CHRIST!

Here is the link to the song: How Beautiful
 

No comments: