Monday, March 10, 2014

I'm Cheap

I thought I would let my blog followers in on a couple little secrets:

First: I am cheap.

My house is furnished 98% on garage sales, estate sales, TJ Maxx and Target...I mean really does one need to go anywhere else? I HATE retail, who doesn't? But now that we are trying to save money way into the five digits my cheapness has taken on a new level.

This is why I am OBSESSED with my second secret: Rhea Lana.

What the heck is that? Well, one day I was just walking into Panera to get an ice tea and I walked passed all these moms in a frenzy shopping for children's clothes and goods from a relatively small shop. It smelled ahhmazing, which is not been my experience at when I normally shop second hand. I was immediately approached by someone, with a happy smile, handing me a basket. It was so organized. Then I saw an old dear friend and realized she and another mommy to littles owned this incredible franchise in Overland Park, called Rhea Lana Children Consignment Sales. I was sold...and I am not an easy sale.

Here's the deal I got high (HIGH) end clothes at seriously crazy cheap prices. The next sale (they happen twice a year) I thought I would try to sell some of my junk. It flew! I was able to purchase both of my kids wardrobes and toys for an entire season (including a newborn daughter) for under $150!!! Everything from diaper dekor refills, to a Coach diaper bag.

The next sale I stepped it up a notch and decided to volunteer (honestly, cuz momma wanted to shop even earlier). This is when it got crazy!

The sales are now almost 40,000 items and have moved to a HUGE convention center...don't worry still have the same great smells, smiling faces, and are just as organized.

I scored a bouncer for $7!! An graco carseat snugride for $15!!! A Bob NEW stroller for around $100! And here is the AMAZING, AMAZING thing I spent NO money on my kids clothes!! It was an even exchange for what I consigned! Since I was now able to afford high quality clothes, like Heartstrings and Tea Collection, at cheap prices they held their value and I was able to resale them for basically the same price I bought them. Now, I just kinda do an exchange program of sorts for new sizes. Yes, it doesn't work for all clothes because kids stain and rip their clothes, but then I inevitably have a big item laying around (like last Ikea table I scored a few years back at a sale) that I can sale and make BANK and break even!

This sale I am trying to do even more, and bring money home to contribute to our adoption funds! That's right I want to actually make money after buying spring and summer clothes (and toys) for a four and five year old. I think I might just be able to!

Anyway,  I thought you mommies should know about these amazing sales. Oh, and one more thing...they consider us adoptive-moms-to-be like pregnant moms-to-be and let us shop even earlier!

Check our their FB page for more info: Rhea Lana Overland Park
Photo cred: Amanda Eaton
 
Most of the toys on this picture were purchased at Rhea Lana, including the white shelf the toys are sitting on.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

THANK YOU for posting this! I will have to send someone with money to shop for me but I miss this sale every year and this year I'm not missing it! My son has gone up a size in everything. I too love a good bargain. I tell my husband that he hunts for animals - and I hunt for bargains.